Loan Limits | Returning Materials | Renewals | Rental Collections
Fees & Services | Pay Fines Online | Lost or Damaged Materials
Fines & Fees Schedule | Finding a Book | About the Library
If you are a permanent resident of California you can get a free library card at any Anaheim Public Library. Just complete a short application, bring along a photo ID and something that shows your current address (parental information is acceptable for children).
You are responsible for all items checked out on your library card. For your protection, please report a lost, stolen or misplaced library card immediately so that the Library can note this on your account. The library charges a nominal fee to replace library cards.
Your library card will allow you to borrow books and other materials at any Anaheim Library branch and the Bookmobile. Most materials may be borrowed for 21 days. Rental and high demand items may be subject to shorter loan periods. Reference materials are for use inside the library only and may not be checked out. An overdue fee of 20¢ per item, per day, will be charged for non-rental materials returned after the due date.
New accounts are limited to 2 rental items, and a total of 5 items at any one time for the first 30 days. After the first month, up to a maximum of 25 items may be checked out at one time. The quantity of high demand and rental items may be limited.
Items can be returned at any Anaheim Library branch. When the library is closed, a book return slot is available either near the entrance or in the parking lot.
Most library materials may be renewed twice if there are no outstanding requests on the item. Rental materials such as videos, DVDs, CDs, audiocasettes, and new books are not renewable. Free videos and audios can be renewed. You may check your account and renew materials in the following ways:
- Online Library Catalog (click on My Account tab)*
- By telephone at (714) 765-1775*
- In person at the library
* Online and phone access is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to check your account and reserve or renew materials. You will need to have your library card number available. Rental materials cannot be reserved.
Rental materials are available for a nominal charge. If not returned at the end of the initial rental period, an additional fee is assessed for each day that the material is kept beyond the original rental period as follows:
- AUDIOBOOKS are $3.00 for 2 weeks or $1.00 for 3 weeks as marked. Additional rental fees are 25¢ per day.
- MUSIC CDs are $1.00 or $3.00 for 2 weeks as marked. Additional rental fees are 20¢ per day.
- DVDs are $1.00 or $2.00 for 2 days or 7 days as marked. Additional rental fees are 20¢ per day or $1 to $2 per rental period.
- RENTAL VIDEOS check out for 7 days. Rental fees are $1.00. Additional rental fees are 20¢ per day.
- FREE VIDEOS check out for 3 weeks. Additional time charged at 20¢ per day.
Fees & Services
Free items have a 20¢ per day overdue charge for every day past the due date. Charges are assessed on all lost, damaged or overdue items, both free and rental. Other service charges are outlined in the Fines & Fees schedule, including:
- Card replacement (Adult & YA): $1.00
- Card replacement (Child): 50¢
- Items on hold: 50¢
- Pay Fines Online
Over Due Notification
Overdue notification is a courtesy. A lack of notice does not absolve you of the responsibility for returning library materials and paying charges. The library refers delinquent accounts to a collection agency if not resolved within 60 days. If you'd like to receive email reminders before your items are due, be sure that we have your current email address listed on your account information page.
Lost or Damaged Materials
The charge for lost (not returned) or "totally" damaged library materials is the replacement cost of that item plus a non-refundable processing fee. The processing fee for most cataloged items is $5. Charges for slightly damaged library materials that can be repaired and continue to circulate are assessed according to the level of damage incurred.