Choosing Books for Babies and Toddlers
For Babies 0-6 Months
- Books with simple, large pictures or designs with bright colors.
- Stiff cardboard, "chunky" books, or fold out books that can be propped up in the crib.
- Cloth and soft vinyl books with simple pictures of people or familiar objects that can go in the bath or get washed.
For Babies 6-12 Months
- Board books with photos of other babies.
- Brightly colored "chunky" board books to touch and taste!
- Books with photos of familiar objects like balls and bottles.
- Books with sturdy pages that can be propped up or spread out in the crib or on a blanket.
- Plastic/vinyl books for bath time.
- Washable cloth books to cuddle and mouth.
- Small plastic photo albums of family and friends.
For Young Toddlers 12-24 Months
- Sturdy board books that they can carry.
- Books with photos of children doing familiar things like sleeping or playing.
- Goodnight books for bed time.
- Books about saying good-bye and hello.
- Books with only a few words on each page.
- Books with brightly colored, engaging illustrations.
- Books with simple rhymes or predictable text.
- Touch-and-feel books.
- Animal books of all sizes and shapes.
For Older Toddlers 24-36 Months
- Books that tell simple stories.
- Simple rhyming books that they can memorize.
- Bed time books.
- Books about counting, the alphabet, shapes or sizes.
- Animal books, vehicle books, books about playtime.
- Pop-up books, pull-the-tab books, touch-and-feel books.
- Books with humorous pictures and words.
For Preschoolers 3-5 Years
- Books about children that look and live like them, as well as about children living very different lives.
- Counting books or other "concept" books about things like size or time.
- Simple "science" books about things and how they work—like garbage trucks, flowers or tools.
- Books about things in which they have a special interest in such as trains, animals or cooking.
- Books about making friends. (Also books about dealing with the challenges of friendships—making up after an argument, dealing with a bossy friend, etc.)
- Books about going to school or to the doctor.
- Books about having brothers or sisters.
- Books with simple text that they can memorize or read!
For more information: